Cauliflower is very popular these days as a healthy replacement for not only carb-loaded potatoes, but as a meat replacement in dishes such as Tacos!
If you’re eating Paleo, Vegetarian. Grain-Free, or just wanting a new way to get your veggies, this super simple preparation is for you!
No bacon needed!
- Split or quarter 1/2 of a large head of Caulifower, leaves included, except for those really thick, tough leaves that don’t steam up well.
- Have 1/4 cup loosely chopped onion handy but don’t add yet.
- Cover your Cauliflower with salted water (2 tsp salt) and simmer until easily stabbed with a fork. About 3 minutes before it is really soft, toss in the onion!
- When fork-soft, drain and place in a large bowl.
- While still hot, chop or break the cauliflower it into smaller pieces with a scissors or a knife. This should be easy.
- Toss in 2 tbsp butter
- Toss in a 1/3 tsp of Oregano. (Any fresh herb could do, such as Tarragon, Sage, Thyme, but stick with one flavor.)
- Puree all the Cauliflower & Onion with a hand blender, or whatever blender/food processor you use. Leave a few lumps for a nice consistency.
- Once pureed,sprinkle in about 1/4 cup of Italian blend cheese or a very mild cheddar, or any mild cheese. Now stir in the cheese until combined and melty.
Spoon your puree out and garnish with fresh herbs.
TIPS: To treat this more like traditional mashed potatoes, add a little Half & Half to the mix as you puree. You can also top with gravy or, on each serving, top with a dollop of Sour Cream, Chives, and extra Cheddar. Cauliflower is influenced by the flavors that surround it.