My good friend, Helen, is on a Ketogenic diet, so no gluten flour for her!
She is also a wonderful hostess and the last time I popped over, she set out the most delicious, gooey, cheesy “non-pizza” snack! It was a bit like a pizza, a bit like a quiche, but no crust at all,… i.e., gluten- and mostly carb-free!. What it reminded me of most was an extra yummy mozerella stick.
I wanted to make something like it as soon as I got home, but alas… I didn’t have all her ingredients. I did however have sausage and some different cheeses. What emerged from my oven was equally tasty and I’m calling it Sausage Cheese Dreams. Below is my recipe
This dish is ideal as an h’ordeuvres, a snack, or even in a larger piece for breakfast. It’s also Keto- and Paleo- diet friendly.
You can certainly make a vegetarian version by simply omitting the meat!
SAUSAGE CHEESE DREAMS
(Vegetarian Option Included!)
1. Heat oven to 3752.
2. Line a cake pan or similar shallow pan with butter, parchment paper, then more butterIn a medium bowl, beat 2 pasture raised eggs and to this, add:
- 1 cup of riced cauliflower (you can purchase this already riced in the frozen section of your super market, or you can process it yourself.
- 3/4 cup of grated gooey cheese. I used a 4-cheese Mexican mix but Monterrey Jack, Colby, or Mozerella will all do.
- Add 3/4 cup grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Add 3/4 cup crumbled breakfast sausage meat, sautéd until just cooked, (Be sure it is cooled eoght before adding it to the egg mixture.)NOTE to Vegetarians: Omit the meat and replace with sautéd mushrooms.
If your mix is too liquid, add 2 – 3 tbsp of gluten-free flour.
- 15 freshly chopped basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- TIP! If your batter seems too liquid, add two tbsp. of gluten-free flour, or just enough to bind and absorb the liquid.
3. Once all your ingredients are incorporated, pour all of the mixture into the prepared pan. You do not want the uncooked batter to cover more than 1/4 of an inch. It will expand as it cooks, but you are not making a quiche!
4 Sprinkle more cheese and a bit of basil on top and bake about 20 minutes, or until you see the top bubbling and the edges turning brown.
5. Cool about 5 minutes. Then turn it out by pulling up the parchment paper and cut into desired bites or slices
TIP! : Try using different cheeses & experiment with different herbs. Add mushrooms & sautéd onions.
If you’re daring, toss in a pinch of cayenne pepper for a kick, or use Pepper Jack cheese.