Two foods I love to eat with scrambled eggs are sliced, cold tomatoes and, of course, potatoes. Any style will do, but sliced thin and fried in bacon greese is tasty.
Ah, but I’m eating low carb these days. So instead of potatoes, I sliced up some Chayote from my garden.
Chayote, eaten cooked or raw, has about 1/4 the carbohydrates of potatoes, but offers up the same amount of fibre.
For the Chayote:
Peel 1 medium or 2 very small Chayotes under running water.
- Slice the entire piece into sticks, seed included, or in any shape you desire.
Now toss into a very hot pan laced with your choice of oil: olive oil, healthy butter, coconut oil, bacon grease.
- Toss in 1/2 thinly sliced Onion. (set aside rest for later)
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper
Cook on medium heat until they begin to bown a bit.
Now flip then and leave to brown all over stirring occasionally.
NOTE: Chayote do not take long to soften.
For some Flavorful ScrambledEggs: (2 Servings)
While the Chayote is cooking, get your eggs ready to scramble. Into a favorite bowl, crack 4-5 large, free-range eggs and to these add:
- 1 Teaspoon water per whole egg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 8 Drops Sriracha hot sauce (or fewer, but you will hardly notice the heat.)
- Whisk this mixture up well
- Chop 1 a cup of Broccoli into very small pieces.
- Finely chop the other half of the onion
- Toss broccoli & onion into a hot frying pan laced with hot oil or bacon grease or butter of choice and sautee for 1 minute.
- Add your entire egg mixture right on top of you broccoli & onion, stir to incorporate, and wait until the layer begins to bubble. Then slowly draw the edges in toward the center to make a fluffy scramble. I like mine on the soft side, but plate up when they’re done your way.
Plate your eggs.
Garnish with Fresh Cilantro or Fresh Parsley or Chive.
Scoop on a healthy spoonful of your browned & seasoned Chayote sticks.
Crown your place with soe beautiful, sliced tomatoes & sprinkle with some seasoned salt.
Now dig in! You won’t miss the potatoes and your carb count will be low!
To you with Love & Butter, Elizabeth