Here is how I make the fluffiest French Toast, with a good portion of healthy protein in each serving.
PREPARATION 1 Serving
- Select 2 large pieces of your favorite bread, leaving crusts on. Any bread will do: White, whole wheat, French, it doesn’t matter.
- Into bowl, break 2 fresh, cage-free eggs (one whole egg for each piece of bread!)
- Add 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream. Half & Half will do, but I prefer heavy cream
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Add 1 packet of Stevia (or a teaspoon of sugar)
- Beat the egg mixture up until well-blended and fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow dish that will hold your bread snugly, without leaving too much space. You can use a small baking dish or rectangle cake pan. Something shallow and that will contain the bread without a lot of extra space.
- Place your bread into the mixture and let it sit for a good 2-3 minutes.
- Now, very gently, flip each piece of bread and allow to remain until all the egg mixture is soaked up.
COOKING IT UP
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter or butter substitute into your favorite skillet or frying pan.
- When the pan is good and hot, but not enough to burn the butter, gently place your soaked bread into the pan.
- Immediately turn the heat down to medium low.
- Leave the bread to cook for several minutes, until the bottoms of the bread are golden brown and you notice the center is becoming firm as the inner egg mixture cooks up.
- You will know your bread is ready to flip over when the middle is firm enough that it does not sag or fall apart when lifted with a spatula.
- Cook another minute or two, until the bottoms are brown and the center feels firm.
- Cut bread pieces in half (I use scissors) and arrange nicely on a nice plate.
- Set a dipping cup along side filled with real Maple Syrup.
- Garnish with whipped cream or….sift some powdered sugar on top!
This dish is definitely made With Love & Butter…