Creamed spinach is a great way to add vegetables while keeping carbs and calories to a healthy minimum. Plus… this recipe fits into almost any diet: Not only is it grain- and gluten-free, but also Vegetarian, Paleo and Keto friendly! It works as a side-dish, but I love it topped with a poached egg, a la “Eggs Florentine.” When I’m really hungry, I top the egg with a slice of cheese and broil for a minute.
The recipe below yields about 6 cups, or …12, half-cup servings at 160 calories and very few carbs.
In addition to the ingredients featured in the photo, I also used about 1-1/2 tablespoons of Quinoa flour to thicken, which adds a negligible amount of carbs.
- 1-1/2 9-oz packages of baby spinach, chopped
- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (feel free to substitute Half ‘n Half)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp good butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil (not shown)
- 1-1/2 tbsp flour (I prefer gluten-free flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste (I ground about 20 times)
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet
- Add chopped onion and salt, then sauté until onions are soft and clear
- Toss in all the chopped spinach and sauté, turning and stirring until soft
- Add the cream, stir, then add the parmesan and incorporate well
- Simmer about 3 minutes, then sprinkle in flour to thicken, pepper to taste and simmer until the mix reaches the desired consistency.
TIP: Portion out the large batch into individual half- or one-cup servings for freezing!
They thaw quickly, so you’ll always have a handy, healthy side vegetable!.