This dish is easy and delicious as well as versatile, to wit: it can be served cold or warm, and as a main or a side dish. Remove the shrimp and replace with tofu and, it’s not only vegetarian but vegan! Because the ratio of rice to vegetables is high on the veg, it’s also a pretty low-carb and also gluten free!
My version here has some shrimp, but you can replace that with more vegetables, a vegan protein, and more quinoa to rice. Play with it. It’s forgiving except, when making a salad with rice, you do NOT want warm or hot-off-the-stove rice. So read on to see what I did here.
A. PREPARE YOUR RICE
- Prepare 1 cup of Jasmine Rice with 1 to 1-1/2 cups of stock. See my notes just below:Rice preparation can be personal. If you use a rice cooker, great! Just make your rice as always.I a mix of Quinoa & Jasmine rice, rinsed. Then I steam it up in a pot with 1-1/2 cups of stock to 1 cup of rice. For added flavor, I use chicken or vegetarian stock and also, I usually add about 7 hot pepper flakes and dried onion flakes.
I steam my rice for about 15-20 minutes — then just turn off the stove and let it sit while I continue prepping other foods.
- IMPORTANT: Spread your cooked rice out in a shallow pan & cool it off in the fridge or freezer. By the time you have chopped up the rest of the salad, your rice will be cool enough to add! You do not want to use warm rice when you add it to a salad. Ditto, by the way, for Chinese Fried Rice! Use cooled rice.
B. WHILE YOUR RICE IS STEAMING UP, CHOP THESE & TOSS INTO A LARGE BOWL:
- 1 Large, ripe, red, tomato
- 1/2 Sweet, Vidalia onion
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1-1/2 Cups finely shredded cabbage (my supermarket sells it in bags)
C. IF YOU ARE NOT A VEGETARIAN, DO THIS:
- Sautee 24 small to medium shrimp in a bit of olive oil & butter with a bit of spicy Creole or other spicy salt. Sautee ONLY about 3 minutes, or until your shirmp are opaque, not clear and gray. Pull off the stove and cool. (Vegetable-based eaters can add Soy or other protein products.)
D. THE FINAL PRODUCT!
Into your LARGE SALAD BOWL where you already have your chopped ingredients, ADD:
- The now-cooled rice
- 2 cups of fresh Arugula
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon or Lime
- 1 or 1-1/2 Tbsp. of Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tps. of Sesame Oil (Sesame Oil is powerful, be careful!)
- 1 Tsp. of Thai Fish Sauce (Don’t worry if you haven’t any!)
- DASH of Soy Sauce (Too much will brown your salad.
- Greek or Creole Salad to taste!
Toss all ingredients with clean hands or spoons.
Serve cold or warmed.